Christ in Glory, St Columbas-by-the-Castle, Edinburgh

This magnificent mural in the Scottish Episcopal Church of St Columbas-by-the-Castle in Edinburgh was painted by John Busby in the late 1950's.

Some digging in the National Records of Scotland office brought to light the vestry minutes at the time the mural was commissioned and a Church Newsletter from April 1981 was unearthed which had an article written by John to explain his inspiration for the mural and the Christian imagery invoked.

 

Mural Notes by the Artist

Notes from the Vestry minutes 1957-1960

 

St Columba's by the Castle website has a brief history and a warm welcome for those who would like to view the mural. 

In 2016 the church was opened specially concurrent with John's Exibition at the Royal Scottish Academy.